Welcome and thank you for choosing Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Associates (OSA) for your oral surgery needs. Please take a moment to review our office policies below:
Office Hours: Our office is open Monday – Thursday 8:00am – 5:00pm and Friday’s 8:00am-3:00pm
Appointments: We see patients by appointment only. We are a referral based office which means you must be referred by a dentist, dental specialist, or in some cases a physician in order to make an appointment.
Arrival Time for Appointments:
- New Patients & Consultations: Please arrive 20 minutes prior to scheduled appointment time.
- Surgeries: Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
- Follow ups: Please arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
After Hours and Emergencies: Please feel free to call with questions during business hours. For after-hours emergencies, a doctor is on call, and can be reached through our answering service at South Portland Office Phone Number 207-772-4063. If you feel you are having a life threatening emergency, dial 911.
Cancellations: Please call the office at least 24 hours in advance if you are unable to keep your scheduled appointment.
Running on Time: We know your schedule is busy and that your time is valuable. Please let us know if you have waited more than 15 minutes so we can double check to see if you have been properly checked in. Remember that we are running several different schedules. If someone who arrived after you is called before you, they might be seeing a different provider.
Treatment of Minors: Patients under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Xrays: Please bring a current x-ray (taken within a year) from your referring doctor or you can also have them emailed or sent via mail to our office. Our email address is: [email protected]. If you do not have a current x-ray, we can take one here at our office.
Consultations: If you are scheduled for a consultation, that means the doctor will evaluate you and recommend a treatment plan. This generally means that surgery will not occur at that visit.
General Anesthesia: If you have been scheduled for general anesthesia (going to sleep) or IV sedation for your procedure then;
- You are not allowed to have anything to eat or drink, including water after midnight the night before your appointment.
- You MUST have an adult drive you to and from your appointment and they are required to stay in the office for the duration of your appointment.
Local Anesthesia: If you have been scheduled for local anesthesia (staying awake) for your procedure then there are no restrictions. You may eat and drink as usual and you may drive yourself to and from you appointment.
Follow Ups: Follow-up appointments are important for the doctor to assess your healing. Please call us with at least 24 hours notice if you need to change your appointment date or time.
Prescriptions and Refills:
- If you need a refill on pain medication, you must call the office during regular business hours (Monday-Friday: 8am-5pm) so we can have access to your patient record. Pain medication cannot be refilled outside of office hours, and cannot be called in to a pharmacy.
- Do not wait until you have run out of your pain medication to call for a refill. Most refills require a doctor’s approval. If your doctor is out for the day, it may be the next day (or Monday) before it can be authorized.
Recording/Pictures: Recording of any type within our facility or on the property is expressly prohibited. If we observe recording or are suspicious of any recording, we reserve the right to erase any images, video, or voice recordings. Recording represents potential violations of federal law with regards to patient privacy, and is subject to a fine of $100,000 per event from the United States Department of Justice. You will be responsible for any fines that the office is assessed due to violation of patient privacy or protected health information related to unauthorized recording.
Food/Beverage: We do not allow any food or beverages in the office out of respect for the patients that are fasting for surgery.
Dismissal: We are honored to participate in your health care and pledge to work with you to realize a successful result. For an optimal outcome to be realized, your participation in the treatment course is paramount. Simply stated, we request that you actively participate in your care by keeping your appointments, complying with instructions, and maintaining appropriate behavior in our office and during communication with our doctors and staff. In rare cases, failure to do so could result in dismissal from our practice and termination of our responsibility of your care. In these rare instances, notification may be verbal, by certified mail, or both.
If you have any questions regarding our office policies, please do not hesitate to call our office at South Portland Office Phone Number 207-772-4063. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and we look forward to seeing you.