Pre and Post Surgical Pain Control with Anti-inflammatory Medication
We recommend a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory be taken before and after surgery. This has been shown to reduce pain and swelling, often in combination with your prescription pain medication. If you use a generic Ibuprofen, please ensure it is coated, as this will decrease potential GI side effects.
Take as follows before surgery:
- 600-800 mg Ibuprofen (4 Advil or Motrin) the night before surgery.
Take as follows after surgery:
- 600-800 mg Ibuprofen every 8 hours as your baseline pain medication. This should help alleviate minor discomfort and can be used by itself or in combination with your prescription medication.
- Continue taking the Ibuprofen for 5-7 days after surgery (some patients may find that Ibuprofen helps for up to 10 days).
- Use your prescription medication with food as directed.
- Please refer to your post-op instructions for further details about your recovery.
Our goal is for you to be a fully informed patient, who will receive the best care possible. Please feel free to call our office with any questions concerning your surgery: South Portland Office Phone Number 207-772-4063
Download Pain Control Instructions Here.
You need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view our form. Please download the free Acrobat Reader from Adobe’s web site if it is not already installed on your system.